July 25, 2005

..knitsy knit..

As many, I learned knitting from my granny when I was little. I quickly gave up, because mysteriously, I always ended up making extra stitches, creating lopsided, triangleshaped garments which I thought I could then use as underwear (mind you, I was about 8 years old at that time).....

One year ago, I knitted my first scarf, guided by an old trusted knitting book from the same granny. It was humongous, knit on size 11 (european) needles and I gave it the endearing nickname "help-I'm-being-strangled-by-a-boa-constrictor" scarf. I never had much wear out of it, although it had cost me quite much...

A couple of months ago, I ordered the Stitch and Bitch handbook. The needles really started clicking now. I made a ribbed, raspberry-plum striped scarf and several headkerchiefs. Things that need to be finished now are 2 toymices for my cats (although one mouse has become so big, that I think I will save it for one particularly fat cat) and 2 pair of Mary Jane slippers. That old "help-I'm-being-strangled-by-a-boa-constrictor"scarf has been frogged and I'm splitting the 2-ply yarn to make it more useful.

And to make the circle round, I recently asked my gran to teach me how to knit socks. She was delighted to hear that she could learn one of her granddaughters how to knit socks....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home