I wish I could/would update this blog more often, I'm so busy these days. I'm starting my new traineeship tomorrow, wich is very exciting and had two funfilled cultural days these last days. Yesterday, I went to see the the work of Rineke Dijkstra in the stedelijk museum in Amsterdam. Her pictures are absolutely gorgeous in all their sharpness and details (and they had some work by Tord Boontje, wich I also adore for the whimsical of it) and always capture the person behind the mask/pose they are taking.
Today, there were three things on my program:
- The Dick Bruna house: a collection of all the works of the creator of Miffy. This collection is perfect for children (or for the child in grown-ups), as things are lined up to their eyesight and there are activity games.
- March of the Penguins: I really have respect for penguins now, as I saw all the hardship they had to endure to bring up their chick (the scene of a mother penguin losing her chick due to a snowblizzed was heartwrenching). I you think you have it tough, think of the penguins.
- and a lovely dinner at an asian tapas restaurant, filling my tummy with avocado sushi.
(all these things were done in the company of a good friend).
I hope everyone has had a good week as well!!
To my dear secret pal... I'm so sorry for being a bit late with posting this questionnaire. I hope it will be to some good use for you!!1.Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?I prefer to knit with natural fibers as they have a nicer ‘feel’ to them when I knit with them. I’m also pretty happy with a mix of acrylic and natural. As to Red Heart and Lion Brand, we don’t have them here in the Netherlands, so I don’t know whether to avaid them or cuddle them to death ;)
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Nope and Nope.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?I have 2 tubes in wich I store my needles. I still need to make one of those fancy needlerolls for them, as the tubes are very ugy.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for about a year now and would consider my skill between beginner and intermediate. 5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?I have one at fred flare, but I canly only send it through e-mail (to secret pal, I send it to your e-mail adress!
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)I really like Myrrh and more earthly scents. Sadly I don’t have a bath :(
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I definetely have a sweet tooth, my favourites are really dark chocolate and peppermint, especially the combination of both. 8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?Next to knitting, I like painting and sewing. I would also like to do some more photography, as I saw some amzing photos on blogs and such...
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have quite a diverse taste in music wich diverse from very heavy rock to jazz. Lately I have been listening a lot to Rilo Kiley, Aimee Mann, The New Pornographers and Rufus Wainwright. My stereo can’t play any mp3’s, allthough I also have a mp3-player.10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
A few of my favourite colors are plum, warm-red and petrol blue, allthough I like most bold colors. Colors that I really can’t stand are pastelcolours and any variation of yellow or orange. To me, a color really has to grab you.11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?Sadly, I still live at my parents, allthough I would love to move out. Living with my parents does mean that I have 3 fuzzy cats, who I adore.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?I do wear scarves, hats and mittens, but shun away from poncho’s.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?I really like the lambswool 51 from Phildar, as it comes in fantastic colors, isn’t scratchy and is quite affordable.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?Fun fur and other of that fancy yarn. I prefer solid yarn, without bits.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?I really don’t have none.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?Right now, lacy hats as they are easy, cheap and great for bad hair days.
17. What are you knitting right now?The lucky clover cardigan from Stitch ‘n bitch nation.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?I would love to!!
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?I prefer straights.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?Under european size 4, I like aluminium, above that I prefer bamboo and wood.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?Nope and nope
22. How did you learn to knit?My grandmother taught me when I was little, allthough I quickly gave up then. A year ago, I knitted my first scarf. Then I bought Stich ‘n Bitch and that was the true start of my knitting!!
23. How old is your oldest UFO?About four months.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?I just love birds in general, and am also a sucker for mercats, cats and squirrels.
25. What is your favorite holiday?The summer, because that means I can travel!!
26. Is there anything that you collect?I don’t collect anything at the moment, but I’m thinking about strting a mis-matched teacup collection.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?None, allthough I received a free sample from Interweave knits once and quite liked it…
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?Yup, I would love the book “Unusual toys to knit and enjoy” by Jess Hutchinson and Peace Fleece needles.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?I want to know how to knit a sock!! Have to visit dear old grans for that….
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?I’m not (yet) a sockknitter. I wear a size 40 (dutch sizes), wich is 23 centimeters.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
The 30th of September.
All I want for Christmas.....
*squeel* although it's a bit tacky, I love this little reindeer! It would be perfect for my wip wrap cardigan I'm making. Too bad I'm brokity-broke-broke...
10 + 1 things I love about Winter...
1. Warm, wooly blankets.
2. A good cup of hot tea.
3. Seeiing the roofs of the houses sprinkled with snow when I look out of the window.
4. Peppermint Mocha coffee.
5. The twinkling lights in the christmastree.
6. The crunching sound you hear when you walk over fresh snow.
7. Thermal underwear.
8. Curling up against the heater to snooze out a bit, while listening to Rilo Kiley
9. Hot cocoa with a shot of rum.
10. Striped peppermint candy. 11. The tart smell and taste of mandarinsUnsuprisingly, I've been quite a bit housemousy the last few weeks. Just curling up to the heater while knitting away makes me happy at this time.....